Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Germanic Heathenry > Heathen Literature
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Heathen Literature Discussion of modern literary works from various Heathen authors and scholars relating to integral Germanic Heathen culture, spirituality, mythology, and history; discussion of published Heathen thought, history, and opinion.

"Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia" by Varg Vikernes

Old Monday, September 12th, 2011   #1
Olavssønn

Ethnicity: Norwegian-Scandinavian
Ancestry: My known ancestry is Norwegian
State: Nordic Union
Politics: Identitarian
Religion: Germanic & Indo-European Heathen
Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

"Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia" by Varg Vikernes

I discovered a few days ago that Varg Vikernes has finally published his book "Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia" which he's been working on over the previous years.

I will quote him from Burzum.org:

Quote:
Paganism: Part XVII - Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia

"Trolldom og Religion i Oldtidens Skandinavia" ("Sorcery and Religion in Ancient Scandinavia") was finished in 2007, but it took some time for me to complete the English translation. Finally now it will be published – but only in English. You can get the details about how to order the book from here.

To avoid any misconceptions I will tell you a bit about the book. The distributors of the book, Plastichead, says on their homepage that the book "will be of interest not only to black metal and Burzum fans, but also to those with an interest in Norse mythology or European history and social commentators". I do not really understand what they mean by this, but I will claim that the book will only be interesting to those with an interest in Norse mythology and ancient European history. This book is exactly what the title says, a book about sorcery and religion in ancient Scandinavia. It has nothing to do with Burzum, music, politics or anything else for that matter. If you have no interest in ancient European sorcery and religion you shouldn't purchase this book. As simple as that.

If you on the other hand have an interest in ancient European sorcery and religion you definately should purchase this book. Unveiled in this book is the belief system of our forefathers, the ancient calender, the secrets of the runes and each and every high festival is described. You can read this book to learn how to practise the ancient European religion, or even the ancient sorcery tradition, or you can read this book simply to learn more about our own culture.

Now, the special thing with this book is that it is the first of its kind. You will not find the information in this book anywhere else, and you will understad that if you read the book. You might wonder how on Earth I can believe that this book is so special, compared to other books about the same subject, and you might wonder why not some less weird person has written a book like this before. Why me? Why this nutcase Norwegian sociopath? The fact is that it could only be written by a person like me; a person with no respect for general conventions whatsoever, with a very different perspective and an even more different approach. If you don't ask the right questions you will never find the right answers. Most writers think conventionally, and therefore they tend to just repeat what others have said before them. They accept the common "truths" and never question anything told them by their professors and other lecturers. They just copy and repeat – and find nothing new. I don't just copy and repeat. I never did, and that's why I have found some important answers other writers have not found before.

When I die I hope that I will be remembered as the writer of this book more than anything else. Music is my escape into my own world, and it doesn't really matter one way or the other, but this book is important to our European culture. I spent some 15 years of my life studying to be able to write this book, and I hope at least some of you will appreciate it.

Yours truly,
Vargr í véum Vikarnes
Bergen the 30th of August 2011
Here's the link with information on how to order it, including pictures of the limited and normal edition:

http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/so...ndinavia.shtml

Olavssønn is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Olavssønn For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, September 12th, 2011   #2
Schopenhauer

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Ancestry: England, Ireland, and Wales
Politics: Cthulhic
Religion: LHP
Schopenhauer is noble of speech.Schopenhauer is noble of speech.

If you're interested in studying the Runes/ancient Germanic culture/religion/, then someone like Stephen Flowers would be a much better source for knowledge than some two-bit, opportunistic con artist like Count Grishnackh.

"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about." - Willy Wonka

“niemand bleibt hier” - Maria Orsic
Schopenhauer is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Monday, September 12th, 2011   #3
Olavssønn

Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Olavssønn 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post
If you're interested in studying the Runes/ancient Germanic culture/religion/, then someone like Stephen Flowers would be a much better source for knowledge than some two-bit, opportunistic con artist like Count Grishnackh.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a couple of his book under the synonym Edred Thorson, mainly dealing with the Runic mysteries.
One does not exclude the other, I'd say.
The Following User Says Thank You to Olavssønn For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, September 12th, 2011   #4
velvet

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Northern Germany
Subrace: Faelid
State: North Rhine-Westphalia
Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Family: Married
Politics: Blut und Boden
Religion: Fimbulwinter
velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.velvet is a deity.

Very glad that the book gets finally published. Only in december though.... *sigh*
Gefürchtet von der Zeit, mein Baum, mein Stamm in Ewigkeit

my signature
velvet is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to velvet For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, September 12th, 2011   #5
Schopenhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olavsson View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I've read a couple of his book under the synonym Edred Thorson, mainly dealing with the Runic mysteries.
One does not exclude the other, I'd say.
I would tell anyone to read whatever they like regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Still, if you want to study this particular aspect of Germanic culture/tradition, the works of Stephen Flowers/Edred Thorson and the Rune Gild would, certainly, be an excellent place to begin.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schopenhauer For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, September 12th, 2011   #6
wehrwolfblood

Subrace: CM/Alp
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Himmler with a beard
Religion: Voden's self-realization
wehrwolfblood 's reputation has not travelled afar.

I'll be ordering my copy in a couple minutes- sounds like a seriously awesome read.

Last edited by Ælfrun : Monday, September 12th, 2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: 08. Defamation against Skadi
wehrwolfblood is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday, September 14th, 2011   #7
Ocko
Eala Freia Fresena
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Friese
Ancestry: Friesland
Subrace: Nordid
State: Montana
Family: Married
Politics: rightwing
Religion: none/pagan
Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.Ocko is a sage.

Thorrson might be good for a general overview but he is pretty flowery when it comes to the runes. After reading what he said I still didn't have a clue what the runes are. As Thorsson is also on a different path he is only half-part heathen. His is a mixed view. He comes from a different tradition and then looks at heathenry.

Every point of view is welcome and I certainly apreciate what he wrote, but I was unable to suck a lot out of it.

I prefer Varg's way to transform oneself into a heathen also internally. From that point of view one has a very different approach and what he finds might just come from his whole being. It might be good or might not be good but it seems to be a lot more honest.

I read his point of view that the Gods are really the planets. I do disagree with that. Though he showed some interesting connection he failed to convince me that Gods are planets.

I am interested in any practical material for self-experiments. If he offers some, then the book is worth to buy.
Old Wednesday, September 14th, 2011   #8
Schopenhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocko View Post
Thorrson might be good for a general overview but he is pretty flowery when it comes to the runes. After reading what he said I still didn't have a clue what the runes are. As Thorsson is also on a different path he is only half-part heathen. His is a mixed view. He comes from a different tradition and then looks at heathenry.
Reyn til Runa!

Old Thursday, September 15th, 2011   #9
Olavssønn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocko View Post
I read his point of view that the Gods are really the planets. I do disagree with that. Though he showed some interesting connection he failed to convince me that Gods are planets.
Well, yes, he wrote in an article that the old heathen gods could have some sort of connection to the planets of our solar system, which is not an especially original statement since it's already well-known that our planets are named after the Roman gods.
However, this is far from the complete picture, and Vikernes does of course also look at the gods as 'archetypes', symbolic language, essential principles and so on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Olavssønn For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, September 16th, 2011   #10
Lyfing

Ethnicity: CeltoGermanic
State: Alabama
Family: Married, happily
Religion: Wotanist
Lyfing is considered wise by the elders.Lyfing is considered wise by the elders.Lyfing is considered wise by the elders.Lyfing is considered wise by the elders.Lyfing is considered wise by the elders.Lyfing is considered wise by the elders.

I've always liked Edred's books..

But, Varg sure does tell a nice "rune-poem"..

Paganism: Part XI - The Esoteric Runes

Later,
-Lyfing
Lyfing is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyfing For This Useful Post: