Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Men, Women & Relationships
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Men, Women & Relationships Matters of friendship, love and marriage. Gender roles in society and matters concerning the sexes.

The Art of Being a Gentleman

Old Friday, April 13th, 2012   #101
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Håløyg
Ancestry: Norway
Subrace: Nordid
Y-DNA: I2b1
mtDNA: J2a1a1b
State: Nordland
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Personality: INTP (The Architect)
Family: Married
Politics: Galactic Lebensraum
Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.

I consider myself a gentleman, I like to open doors for ladies, give up my seat on the bus, carry grocery bags and similar. But I guess there is always room for improvement. I like traditional roles.

Once I held the door open for a woman when me and some friends were going to a pub, the girl got mad and said she could perfectly open the door herself.
Hersir is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, April 13th, 2012   #102
The Horned God
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Irish
Subrace: Atlantid
Family: Single adult
The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.The Horned God is a sage.

To me being a gentleman means not being rude to anyone and not accepting rudeness from anyone.
Old Friday, April 13th, 2012   #103
Sindig_og_stoisk

Ethnicity: Danish
Ancestry: Danish
Politics: Nationalist, conservative
Religion: Heathen
Sindig_og_stoisk 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Sindig_og_stoisk 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Sindig_og_stoisk 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersir View Post
I consider my a gentleman, I like to open doors for ladies, give up my seat on the bus, carry grocery bags and similar. But I guess there is always room for improvement. I like traditional roles.

Once I held the door open for a women when me and some friends were going to a pub, the girl got mad and said she could perfectly open the door herself.
I know the feeling: I always (persistently bordering on stubbornly) hold the doors for ladies at the university and over the years I have gotten all kinds of responses you can imagine: Some women smile kindly in return and some of them really kindly - like they would marry me if only I asked. Others do not seem to know how to respond to my gesture and simply rush right through the door while avoiding eye contact at all costs. And then there are of course those "progressive and liberated" types who seem to take offence and give you the "what-the-f##k-are-you-doing?"-look.

However, the oddest response I have so far gotten was one girl whom I held the door for when we were both on our way to the campus library. The following day we were both approaching the same door again and all of a sudden she ran ahead of me, grabbed the door handle and held the door for me to pass through, giving me a wide smile as she did. How is a gentleman supposed to respond to that?
Sindig_og_stoisk is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sindig_og_stoisk For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, April 13th, 2012   #104
Aeternitas
Books won't stay banned, ideas won't go to jail
Þeudanaz
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Germanic
Subrace: Europid
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Reason, Freedom, Justice
Religion: Truth, Greatness, Beauty
Aeternitas has disabled reputation

Skadi Award: Being the most prestigious award on Skadi Forum, the Skadi Award is bestowed upon those who, being outstanding contributors of particular importance, have been long standing supporters of Skadi Forum and its community, in good and in bad times. - Issue reason: Excellent contributions in all sections; outstanding performance as a forum manager; indefatigable support of members, staff, and the administration. 
Gentlemen are awesome, especially my sweetheart.

Does anyone remember this?

He puts on my coat, opens doors for me, extends me his arm, carries my shopping (this is a damn hard task ). It can get a bit annoying at times if I'm walking on the "wrong" side of the road and don't even realize it and have to switch. And he puts up with my dramas quite well.

But really generally, I can't complain, he makes me feel adored.

Anyway although I appreciate gentlemanly behavior, I'm just not used to expecting it by default, especially not by members of my generation... it's not programmed in me and this can create awkward and even embarrassing situations. Sometimes I forget about it even when my partner wants to make a nice gesture for me, e.g. when he wanted to pull a chair for me in a cafe but I already pulled one for myself.

Manners and etiquette make sense to me up to a certain point. I'm not really comfortable in fancy restaurants and around snobbish people. I once saw someone eating a hamburger with a knife and fork, now that's a bit over the top. I think one can be classy without being pompous and superficial.
Aeternitas is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, April 14th, 2012   #105
Schneider

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Ancestry: German, Irish
State: Michigan
Family: Married
Religion: Kraft Durch Freude
Schneider has earned the respect of peers.

I have grown up understanding that treating women differently is asking for trouble.

At work, it is harassment, or favoritism.

Then their are the women who try to influence men in management by encouraging an establishment of a different standard for them.

At work I absolutely do not act differently towards women.

I do hold doors open for people. I am polite. Man or women.

Since I have always lived at work these habits are the same later in life, when on the street.

I act differently around elderly. I understand the culture and what is expected.
"Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect."
Schneider is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schneider For This Useful Post:
Old Saturday, April 14th, 2012   #106
Primus
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Ancestry: Albion.
Subrace: Alpinid
State: New York
Personality: ISTJ (The Inspector)
Politics: Republicanism, traditionalism, .
Religion: Roman Catholic
Primus is a sage.Primus is a sage.Primus is a sage.Primus is a sage.Primus is a sage.Primus is a sage.Primus is a sage.Primus is a sage.Primus is a sage.

Two ethical manuals that I might suggest are:

Havamal.

Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation, penned by George Washington but largely an English translation of a French Jesuit tome on etiquette.

http://www.foundationsmag.com/civility.html
Primus is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Primus For This Useful Post:
Old Sunday, April 15th, 2012   #107
GroeneWolf
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Dutch
Subrace: Don't know
State: Utrecht
Religion: Germanic Heathendom
GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.GroeneWolf is a sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
But how should I know that they are used from the outside to the inside?
By reading about it, just like I did. Alto I forgot to mention there are different ways to order the cutlery and other things to be put on the table. So there are some variances.

Quote:
I always thought they are there to clean your mouth or hands.
I give a score of 2 out of 3 . That is indeed what they are for, the third function is to help protect your clothing.

And after then some looking up about the why you lay them down on your lap, because that serves as a signal to the staff that they can start serving and that the napkins will not be in the way.

Quote:

Wanna have a seat in our dining room?
What is on the fire ?
- Sir Richard Steele
GroeneWolf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GroeneWolf For This Useful Post:
Old Sunday, April 15th, 2012   #108
Gandalfur

Ethnicity: Swedish
Ancestry: Sweden / UK /Netherlands / Germany
State: Smaland
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Swedish environmental party
Religion: spiritual
Gandalfur 's reputation has not travelled afar.

The Havemal and good ethics require men to respect women and behave as gentlemen at all times.
Gandalfur is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gandalfur For This Useful Post:
Old Sunday, April 15th, 2012   #109
renownedwolf
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: English
Religion: Germanic Heathenry
renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.renownedwolf is considered wise by the elders.

I don't go in for the effeminate rituals of being a gentleman, poncing about with what fork goes with what is just daft and pointless. GentleMAN! I'm more of a barbarian at heart and I believe that the acts of being a gentleman should have a practical use more than just for show.
renownedwolf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to renownedwolf For This Useful Post:
Old Sunday, April 15th, 2012   #110
Neophyte

Ethnicity: Scandinavian
Subrace: Nordic + some Atlantid
Politics: Blut und Boden
Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.Neophyte 's judgement is sought by kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renownedwolf View Post
I don't go in for the effeminate rituals of being a gentleman, poncing about with what fork goes with what is just daft and pointless. GentleMAN! I'm more of a barbarian at heart and I believe that the acts of being a gentleman should have a practical use more than just for show.
1st: Proper manners is a way of respect.
2nd: Proper manners, or the lack thereof, shows who belongs and who does not.

There time and place for proper manners is always right here and now:

Between gentlemen, even a duel is no excuse for bad manners.
Neophyte is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Neophyte For This Useful Post: