Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Food & Drink
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Food & Drink Discuss food and drink preparation, culinary customs and share recipes.

Menu of the Day

Old Thursday, August 18th, 2016   #1
Georgia
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Deutschland
Religion: Christian
Georgia has disabled reputation

Menu of the Day

Remember the Thread on another Germanic forum named something like this "Was gibt es heute zu Essen?" Meaning "What are you eating today?" One could post either just the meal or snack in words or add a photo to compliment the words. I thought it would be nice to perhaps start a Thread here with this subject naming it "Menu of the day." It can be breakfast, dinner, supper or all of them.

I am starting with supper today. Although I am living by myself I am still cooking for myself. I rarely eat out. I have changed some of my eating habits eating much healthier than in the past. I modify favorite recipes incorporating healthier options. Fresh veggies and salads are a must daily if at all possible. Healthy eating habits also include an adequate supply of good protein.

This evening it is Spaghetti night with meat sauce and salads. Protein Plus spaghetti is chosen which has a higher percentage of protein than regular pasta. Lean ground chuck for the meat sauce and different green salad fixings including watercress and arugula are added to red cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes and green onions. Sugar Free Balsamic Vinaigrette is a must for the salad dressing.
A glass of heavy red wine is in order, "Stellar Organics" from South Africa.

As I was growing up at my parents home my mother always said to me that people eat with their eyes and nose before they actually taste the food. So I always try to set the table as I used to do when the family was still here and I usually always eat at the table even being by myself. Food is to be enjoyed and should be used not to just satisfy hunger, but also to nourish the body in a positive way.

Doesn't mean I sometimes don't prepare those absolute sinful desserts of the past and I never fix any homemade biscuits. As I want to remain in good health as I am aging it is even more important to eat healthy. When one is young, the body can tolerate and compensate for many things; however, age does catch up and then watch out.

I hope y'all join me making this Thread fun and enjoyable.

Georgia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Supper August 18, 2016.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	112128  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, August 19th, 2016   #2
SpearBrave
Proffessional Hickerbilly
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: American of German decent
Ancestry: Germany/ Switzerland
Zodiac Sign: Libra
Personality: ENFP (The Champion)
Family: dead
Politics: Self-Reliance
Religion: Asatru
SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

I made a small meat loaf out of deer meat, bread crumbs, egg and some spices. I also had a very small salad on the side, and some raw milk to drink. Since I'm alone I will take the meat loaf in my lunch tomorrow. I used to drink a beer with my evening meal, but I'm not into drinking as much as used to for some reason.

I come from a large family( 11 siblings ), so cooking for one is a problem for me. Often I just snack on several things throughout the evening. I do like a good meal, maybe even too much.
Old Sunday, August 21st, 2016   #3
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Håløyg
Ancestry: Norway
Subrace: Nordid
Y-DNA: I2b1
mtDNA: J2a1a1b
State: Nordland
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Personality: INTP (The Architect)
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Galactic Lebensraum
Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.

Had some nice lamb medallions with potatoes and vegetables for dinner. I bad eggs and bacon for breakfast, good and filling.
Hersir is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, September 8th, 2016   #4
Georgia
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Lately I have been so very busy...I have cooked a few things like a steak with a salad and a baked sweet potato, but other than that I eat a lot of fruit and yogurt and peanut butter and jelly on organic whole wheat. It tastes good and is filling and actually provided a fair amount of nutrition. Once fall is in full swing I have more time to spend in the kitchen. Yesterday I did have to go way out of town and I also met with a friend for dinner (in the South this is the midday meal known as "lunch" which is a "Yankee" word and dinner up north is supper here in the South - I take great care to describe things the Southern way as terminology is also part of a cultural heritage). We ate at a restaurant. I always get the grilled Salmon with Salad and a baked sweet potato. I actually was going to take a picture but forgot my camera . So here is a link.

http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/menu/grilled-salmon-salad/prod590004

Georgia
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, September 8th, 2016   #5
Alpensun

Ancestry: Switzerland
Alpensun is noble of speech.Alpensun is noble of speech.Alpensun is noble of speech.

As almost every morning in the summer, I prepared birchermüsli for breakfast: fine oat flakes, wheat germs and cinnamon. Mix all this with a grated apple and some milk. Then, depending on what you like, add blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, red currants, apricots, dried grapes, crunched nuts or hazelnuts, fresh lemon juice and some natural yogurt. You can add a mashed or sliced, cut lengthwise banana, the only tropical fruit widely used as the taste and texture of bananas combine wonderfully with the original formula.

For dinner, a "quick and easy" meal: chicken breasts cooked in olive oil with onions and dill, wholegrain pasta and a vegetable mix of carrots, garlic, zucchinis and various spices...

Still don't know for tonight but I may have some tuna, wholegrain toasts, avocado and tomato salad. I will certainly pick out a small desert too!

For some inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnSf8-kVCY

In English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK3dsrVtyzA
Alpensun is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpensun For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, September 14th, 2016   #6
Georgia
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Been busy again today, this time shopping in the Kreisstadt. I don't like going to town, not even a small one. Fortunately I live about a 25 minute drive away from there . So I had an late breakfast and an early dinner - Peanut Butter and Blackberry Jam on "eureka! ORGANIC TOP SEED" bread. I could eat this for every meal, at least for a while until I got tired of it, which is probably not for a very long time. Somewhere in between I also had a Greek Yogurt. For supper I had a salad plate made with Arugula, Watercress, Carrots (grated), Green Onions, Blue Cabbage (grated), Cucumbers and Beets. Toped with some Chives and Balsamic Vinaigrette. For protein I had some fresh Salmon I was able to buy on sale at the store today. I prepared is slowly in a skillet with a little light olive oil. As so many times, my eyes were bigger than my stomach So tomorrow there will be plenty of leftovers. For dessert I enjoyed munching on my favorite apple - Honeycrisp.

Georgia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	September 14, 2016 Supper.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	112229  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, September 15th, 2016   #7
Untersberger
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Norsk/Kelt
Ancestry: Norge/Eireann
Subrace: Nordid
State: Nordic Union
Family: Kompliziert!
Politics: Volksgemeinschaft
Religion: Ásatrú
Untersberger is considered wise by the elders.Untersberger is considered wise by the elders.Untersberger is considered wise by the elders.Untersberger is considered wise by the elders.Untersberger is considered wise by the elders.Untersberger is considered wise by the elders.Untersberger is considered wise by the elders.Untersberger is considered wise by the elders.

No clue about food as it goes.

Really appreciate it though when folks post traditional food as per region they live in.

Love that. Please keep some decent recipes going..

Here to learn
Untersberger is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Untersberger For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, September 15th, 2016   #8
SpearBrave
Proffessional Hickerbilly
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: American of German decent
Ancestry: Germany/ Switzerland
Zodiac Sign: Libra
Personality: ENFP (The Champion)
Family: dead
Politics: Self-Reliance
Religion: Asatru
SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

I had a small salad from my garden with tomatoes and homemade cucumber pickles with white cheese on top and vinegar. I also had cheese and crackers. With water to drink. I don't eat much for the evening meal, well not as much as I used to. I like to eat a small breakfast, big lunch and small evening meal. When I eat this way I usually feel better.

Right now as I get closer to bedtime, I might have some apple juice or at least a few glasses of water.
Old Thursday, September 15th, 2016   #9
Georgia
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Untersberger
Quote:
No clue about food as it goes.
Quote:

Really appreciate it though when folks post traditional food as per region they live in.

Love that. Please keep some decent recipes going..

Here to learn

I think you will appreciate this Thread from years ago.

https://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=56508

Georgia
Old Wednesday, September 21st, 2016   #10
Georgia
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

My daughter, she is the youngest of my three children, came to visit this evening. As always, we enjoyed our time together. Between work and school she doesn't have a lot of free time to come and see me. We enjoyed a home cooked meal together. Baked Sweet Potatoes with Butter, Tomato Salad, Sautéed Cabbage, Ribeye Steak and Blueberry Cheese Cake.

Georgia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Supper September 20, 2016.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	112265  Click image for larger version

Name:	Supper September 20, 2016 one.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	112266