Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Health, Fitness & Nutrition
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health, Fitness & Nutrition Discussion of medical health issues, workout and training schedules, nutrition and diets, anti-ageing & life-extension, drugs & pharmaceuticals. Bring your body where it has never been before.

View Poll Results: Have you ever suffered from an eating disorder?
No, never 25 67.57%
Yes, anorexia 8 21.62%
Yes, bulimia 2 5.41%
Yes, ED-nos 3 8.11%
Yes, Compulsive overeating 4 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Eating Disorders

Old Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007   #1
Frederica

Ethnicity: Scottish
State: Vestfold
Frederica 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Eating Disorders

Curious about others experiences with eating disorders whether it be anorexia, bulimia, ed-nos, compulsive overeating etc. General views on eating disorders?
Frederica is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, August 23rd, 2007   #2
Achtland

Ethnicity: English
Subrace: Nordid
State: Yorkshire
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Socio-Divinitive
Religion: Pagan
Achtland 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Anorexia is becoming more commonplace amongst teenaged girls. They haven't physically developed yet into women but are obsessed about their bodies. It's also an illness that effects young women mainly. Women above a certain age like 35-40 rarely have eating disorders. It comes from stress and unhappiness, and some tend to express that inner pain with cutting. Eating disorders happen with those who are depressed, not so much on people who want to copy models or anything.
Achtland is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, August 23rd, 2007   #3
Bridie
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: -
Bridie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtland
Women above a certain age like 35-40 rarely have eating disorders.
I have to disagree there. Many women who suffer from eating disorders when young go on to have the conditions for life. My mum is 52 and still anorexic. Its like an alcoholic... once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.... if they no longer drink they are considered to be a "recovering alcoholic", but have to be careful in case they slip back into full blown alcoholism.

I think that eating disorders stem from a person having a controlling/obsessive personality, coupled with extreme self-hatred.
Bridie is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, August 23rd, 2007   #4
Jäger
Bloodhound
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Atlantean
Jäger has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
I have to disagree there. Many women who suffer from eating disorders when young go on to have the conditions for life.
Well, one could say, and maybe that is what she meant, that eating disorders rarely start to develop above a certain age.
"Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)
Jäger is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, August 23rd, 2007   #5
Matamoros

Ancestry: Anglo-Saxon & Swedish
Matamoros shows some promise.

I came close. At the age of 17 or 18 I spent a few months eating too little . I still can't understand why I did it, but I eventually realised that it was better to be big and strong and healthy than to be thin and skinny. I was 6'2" and only 60kg. That's not exactly anorexic (I never went to see a doctor either), but it could have become worse if I hadn't snapped out of it (I'm now 76kg, and it's all muscle). It isn't just a woman's problem, there are a few men affected by it too.
Matamoros is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, August 23rd, 2007   #6
Deary
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Deary has disabled reputation

I think much of why anorexia (and other eating disorders) is so common among teenage girls is due to an over exposure of sexually explicit media at a young age. Girls bodies gain more fat during the early teenage years as a usual part of the growth process while diet industries advertise incorrect ideas on food and weight loss. This can make one feel extremely self-conscious and believe they need to decrease their food intake. If it weren't for this and the lack of education regarding nutrition/health care, the epidemic would be no where near as extensive as it is now.

Eating disorders can develop for any number of reasons, superficial or not - perfectionism, obsessive-compulsion, poor dieting methods, being overweight, idolizing, low self-esteem, and so on. Recovery is different for everyone, though most I have known have much trouble doing so and are prone to relapse. Anoretics are very difficult to persuade due to the effect starving has on their brain. No matter how much fact you give them, they ultimately sink into their ill-conceived notions on how to get thin.
Deary is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, August 23rd, 2007   #7
OneEnglishNorman
Account Disabled on Request

Subrace: Bruenn
OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.OneEnglishNorman 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

I estimate I dropped from mid-80kgs to mid/high-50kgs (around 177cm). Whatever the loss was, it was a lot. I hate putting tags on things and I don't know if that's a disorder. I was overweight before and underweight after. I had *no* idea what I was doing, just a vague concept of not wanting to be fat. It becomes like a game in itself during the monotony of school weeks, seeing how little you can eat. I just ate less and less and became very gaunt. I think the sheer extent of it was mostly hidden under my clothes. Funnily enough after I snapped out of it I soon went right back to being overweight in the mid-80kgs.

I'm around 70kg now which feels right, 30" waist & 38" chest can't be bad
OneEnglishNorman is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Friday, August 24th, 2007   #8
Achtland

Subrace: Nordid
State: Yorkshire
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Socio-Divinitive
Religion: Pagan
Achtland 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
I have to disagree there. Many women who suffer from eating disorders when young go on to have the conditions for life. My mum is 52 and still anorexic. Its like an alcoholic... once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.... if they no longer drink they are considered to be a "recovering alcoholic", but have to be careful in case they slip back into full blown alcoholism.

I think that eating disorders stem from a person having a controlling/obsessive personality, coupled with extreme self-hatred.
Thanks for telling me that eating disorders continue onwards, but from what I've read most women start having ED when they're young, and they either waste away or no longer have ED when they grow towards middle age. From what you said your mother is still anorexic at 52, I would be quite interested to know how women her age still suffer ED apart from the trait being, as you described, similar to alcoholism. Is that the only reason or is it much deeper? I don't think it's commonplace for women above 40 to start being ED as there are below that age.
Achtland is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Friday, August 24th, 2007   #9
Matamoros

Ancestry: Anglo-Saxon & Swedish
Matamoros shows some promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
I'm around 70kg now which feels right, 30" waist & 38" chest can't be bad
Put some more on your chest. Mine is 42" but I still look skinny.
Matamoros is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Friday, August 24th, 2007   #10
mischak
Account Inactive

Subrace: Faelid
mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.mischak is a deity.

I've never had an eating disorder but I will admit I am quite obsessed about (my) weight and I have been since I was very young. I've always been thin, but even at the age of 7 while I was being fitted for a ballet costume I was very concerned and aware of the number on the measuring tape. I don't recall being influenced by models or TV or whatever, I just think I've always been prone toward having anxiety and a bit of obsessiveness :
mischak is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote