Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Health, Fitness & Nutrition
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health, Fitness & Nutrition Discussion of medical health issues, workout and training schedules, nutrition and diets, anti-ageing & life-extension, drugs & pharmaceuticals. Bring your body where it has never been before.

View Poll Results: Have you ever suffered from an eating disorder?
No, never 25 67.57%
Yes, anorexia 8 21.62%
Yes, bulimia 2 5.41%
Yes, ED-nos 3 8.11%
Yes, Compulsive overeating 4 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Eating Disorders

Old Sunday, August 26th, 2007   #11
Frederica

Ethnicity: Scottish
State: Vestfold
Frederica 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischak View Post
I've never had an eating disorder but I will admit I am quite obsessed about (my) weight and I have been since I was very young. I've always been thin, but even at the age of 7 while I was being fitted for a ballet costume I was very concerned and aware of the number on the measuring tape. I don't recall being influenced by models or TV or whatever, I just think I've always been prone toward having anxiety and a bit of obsessiveness :
I had a similar experience at school. We had to wear these dreadful tight leotards for dance and gym. Doubly awful since i never had any aptitude for either of those subjects! I know school's often have good intentions in having classes like that, but being an already chubby kid squashed into a leotard in a class where everyone else was short and skinny does not do anything for a developing sense of self esteem! But i definitely agree that a great deal of the eating disordered mindset comes from an obsessive personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deary View Post
I think much of why anorexia (and other eating disorders) is so common among teenage girls is due to an over exposure of sexually explicit media at a young age. Girls bodies gain more fat during the early teenage years as a usual part of the growth process while diet industries advertise incorrect ideas on food and weight loss. This can make one feel extremely self-conscious and believe they need to decrease their food intake. If it weren't for this and the lack of education regarding nutrition/health care, the epidemic would be no where near as extensive as it is now.

Eating disorders can develop for any number of reasons, superficial or not - perfectionism, obsessive-compulsion, poor dieting methods, being overweight, idolizing, low self-esteem, and so on. Recovery is different for everyone, though most I have known have much trouble doing so and are prone to relapse. Anoretics are very difficult to persuade due to the effect starving has on their brain. No matter how much fact you give them, they ultimately sink into their ill-conceived notions on how to get thin.
I'm not sure education regarding nutrition could be said to play a major role in developing an eating disorder. I know i had lots of slideshows and workshops on the nutritional pyramid and the dangers and horrors of eating disorders etc. I think many people, or at least the ones that i know who have eating disorders, are incredibly well versed on nutrition. Though i agree that many of the reasons you listed do often contribute to eating disorder development.
Frederica is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Monday, August 27th, 2007   #12
Deary
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Deary has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederica View Post
I'm not sure education regarding nutrition could be said to play a major role in developing an eating disorder. I know i had lots of slideshows and workshops on the nutritional pyramid and the dangers and horrors of eating disorders etc. I think many people, or at least the ones that i know who have eating disorders, are incredibly well versed on nutrition. Though i agree that many of the reasons you listed do often contribute to eating disorder development.
The reason I became so educated on nutrition/health care was as a result of my eating disorder. I had prior exposure to the subject like everyone who had the required coarse in school but it was not to the extent as I do now and learned during my years with an eating disorder. The situation is similar with other girls I have known who "learned on the way", so to say.
Deary is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Monday, August 27th, 2007   #13
Bridie
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: -
Bridie has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtland View Post
Thanks for telling me that eating disorders continue onwards, but from what I've read most women start having ED when they're young, and they either waste away or no longer have ED when they grow towards middle age. From what you said your mother is still anorexic at 52, I would be quite interested to know how women her age still suffer ED apart from the trait being, as you described, similar to alcoholism. Is that the only reason or is it much deeper? I don't think it's commonplace for women above 40 to start being ED as there are below that age.
Yes, I agree that females who suffer from EDs normally develop their disorder/s in their teens. But then, for many, it will become a life-long struggle. I don't think that most females who develop EDs in their teens will either die or have recovered by middle age. EDs aren't necessarily going to be so extreme that they cause death so quickly... its important to keep in mind that EDs can range from mild to severe... and can vary in severity throughout a person's lifetime.

Regarding my mum... I'm not really sure what you're asking exactly? She has a very controlling, obsessive, addictive personality, as well as extremely low sense of self worth... this, for her, as resulted in multiple problems, with one of them being anorexia/bulimia which varies in severity according to her stress levels and how she is responding to her internal and external environments at any given time. As a result of her EDs, she has developed certain physical conditions/illnesses... heart palpitations and cardiovascular weakness among the worst... but she is not on death's door yet. :p I doubt she will ever be "cured" from her EDs, as most of the time she is still in denial (most common state for those with EDs). Its only occasionally when she's going through a good patch that she'll become "lucid" and speak honestly and open-mindedly about her problems with EDs... but for much of the time, she vehemently denies that there is anything abnormal about her eating habits or self image.

Often an anorexic's #1 goal is to convince everyone that she is naturally so thin.
Bridie is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Monday, October 3rd, 2011   #14
Wræcca

Ethnicity: English
State: Kent
Religion: Anglican
Wræcca shows some promise.

Eating Disorder

Over the past year my sisters has developed a chronic eating disorder; with it worsening over the summer months, to the point where she will refuse to eat anything that is calorithic!

If anyone has advice on the matter, then I'd much appreciate it, if they could reply to this thread or PM me.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Wræcca is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Monday, October 3rd, 2011   #15
Frostbite

Ethnicity: English-American
Ancestry: English/England
Family: Single adult
Religion: Christian
Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Frostbite 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

Get her to a doctor ASAP. They can help you. Eating disorders are more mental than physical.

Even though my ancestry is English, Germany is my favorite country.
Frostbite is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frostbite For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, October 3rd, 2011   #16
Unity Mitford

Ethnicity: English
Family: Engaged
Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.Unity Mitford is a sage.

had it myself a few years ago. have pmed you.
Unity Mitford is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unity Mitford For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, October 12th, 2011   #17
bæny
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Ænglisc
Subrace: Borreby
bæny is a sage.bæny is a sage.bæny is a sage.bæny is a sage.bæny is a sage.bæny is a sage.bæny is a sage.bæny is a sage.bæny is a sage.

I will not keep it a secret as long as it can help other people but I went through a similar thing this summer and it has made me really quite ill at the moment.

The only person that helped me snap out of it was my mother who gave me a few home truths (i.e. told me how awful I looked compared to before, and she didn't hold back for sure) and stuffed good food down me.

Earlier this year I was restricting myself to about 600-800 calories a day, and pretty much living on cereal (weetabix or bran flakes) and bread (this bread being 50 calories per slice), oh and the odd carrot or apple.

You should inform someone that has significant influence over her (for me it was my mother) and get them to talk to her before it gets too late.
eorlas arhwate eard begeatan.
bæny is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bæny For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, March 6th, 2017   #18
Bärin
Secure a future for Germanic children
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
State: Berlin
Family: Married parent
Politics: National Communism
Religion: Atheism
Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.Bärin 's judgement is sought by kings.

Never suffered from one myself but I just found out my sister-in-law suffers from what we assume is bulimia. She hasn't been diagnosed yet and she refuses to see a doctor let alone get treatment for it.

My brother found it out by accident. There was always a strange smell and he couldn't locate it. Then he caught her in the act, I can just say it's disgusting. Instead of going to the bathroom to vomit, she made herself puke into plastic containers and collected them in her wardrobe. He also found stashes of sweets, in the same area of the wardrobe!

It's beyond me how I can understand it. My brother is broken apart by it, especially because they wanted to have a child and now she's clearly in no condition to get pregnant. What makes women do this? I'm a woman, and I don't understand it...
Bärin is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Monday, March 6th, 2017   #19
Catterick

Ethnicity: Mixed Germanic and Celtic
Ancestry: British Isles & Scandinavia
Subrace: Borreby x Nordic
Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.

Just fasting when depressed.
Catterick is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Monday, March 6th, 2017   #20
Siebenbürgerin
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Transylvanian Saxon
Subrace: Alpinid/Baltid
State: Transylvania
Politics: Ethno-Cultural
Religion: Lutheran
Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.Siebenbürgerin 's wisdom is legendary.

I've not suffered from an eating disorder and I don't think I ever will because I have a simple but positive philosophy about the human body. With the exceptions of the extremes (obesity and malnutrition), I think peoples should be encouraged to love and accept their own bodies, and believe in their own beauty. We don't all need to look like the Hollywood standard.