Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Pets & Animals
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animals Forum for pet owners and animal enthusiasts. Dedicated to the discussion of pets, pet care, training, health and other pet-related topics.

What Sort of Exotic Pet Would You Adopt?

Old Thursday, January 19th, 2017   #21
Angela

Ethnicity: Swedish
Angela has earned the respect of peers.

I would love to adopt one of the gorgeous big cats, a lion, a tiger or a leopard. Probably the most beautiful wild animals on earth.
Angela is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angela For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, March 15th, 2017   #22
Fire Sprite
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Anglo-Australian
Ancestry: English
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Politics: Anti-debt
Religion: Muse Worship
Fire Sprite is noble of speech.Fire Sprite is noble of speech.

Because they are rather intelligent, beautiful and curious little piles of feathers and fluff.
That, or a real live dragon, that I could ride on, and have it eat people I hated.
Fire Sprite is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Sprite For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, March 15th, 2017   #23
Gareth Lee Hunter

Ethnicity: English/German American
Ancestry: England and Germany
State: Indiana
Family: Married
Politics: Not a Republicrat.
Religion: Nondenominational Christian
Gareth Lee Hunter has earned the respect of peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
I would love to adopt one of the gorgeous big cats, a lion, a tiger or a leopard. Probably the most beautiful wild animals on earth.
So would I, Angela. But in reality it's a very bad idea for everyone except experienced sanctuary owners, and natural setting zoos to be in physical possession of exotic "big cats".

We have an exotic feline sanctuary located in our area. The dedicated proprietor of this secure, and humane facility can reveal why the average citizen should never do more than fantasize about actually taking physical possession of predatory wildlife, even where it is legal to do so, as it is immensely dangerous for everyone, including the exotic felines that nearly always end-up being killed, or abused and neglected till they suffer to death.

The true stories this man can tell about such tragic events will definitely have all but the most cold-hearted in tears.

Just to emphasize how unpredictably dangerous exotic felines are, one of his employees was nearly killed recently by a tiger that was just in a playful mood. Their size and strength is just overwhelming to mere humans.

I'll stick with rescuing domestic felines that need caring homes. And I strongly advise that everyone else who loves cats do the same.
Gareth Lee Hunter is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, March 15th, 2017   #24
Catterick

Ethnicity: Mixed Germanic and Celtic
Ancestry: British Isles & Scandinavia
Subrace: Borreby x Nordic
Family: Single adult
Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.

Zoo tigers are gentle giants, though they have size and strength so do some dog breeds and all horses. I will agree they are a not a casual pet, but people are hysterical about big cats as pets. Most captive big cats are not dangerous if they are used to human contact, tigers and snow leopards having the gentlest nature.
Catterick is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catterick For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, March 15th, 2017   #25
Huginn ok Muninn
Anachronism
Witenagemot
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Germanic
Ancestry: Germany, Norway, England
Subrace: Nordeby
State: Texas
Zodiac Sign: Leo
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Politics: Farther right than you.
Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.Huginn ok Muninn is a deity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Lee Hunter View Post
So would I, Angela. But in reality it's a very bad idea for everyone except experienced sanctuary owners, and natural setting zoos to be in physical possession of exotic "big cats".

We have an exotic feline sanctuary located in our area. The dedicated proprietor of this secure, and humane facility can reveal why the average citizen should never do more than fantasize about actually taking physical possession of predatory wildlife, even where it is legal to do so, as it is immensely dangerous for everyone, including the exotic felines that nearly always end-up being killed, or abused and neglected till they suffer to death.

The true stories this man can tell about such tragic events will definitely have all but the most cold-hearted in tears.

Just to emphasize how unpredictably dangerous exotic felines are, one of his employees was nearly killed recently by a tiger that was just in a playful mood. Their size and strength is just overwhelming to mere humans.

I'll stick with rescuing domestic felines that need caring homes. And I strongly advise that everyone else who loves cats do the same.
The sentiment about domestic cats who need a home is a valid one. They are a lot easier to care for and certainly cost less to feed than a larger cat, too. There are a lot of cat species that are not lions, tigers, or leopards, though. Lions and tigers can get up to 500 pounds, and you're right in saying they often do not know their own strength. They are also in the pantherinae subfamily, like leopards and jaguars, and are more instinct-driven and harder to read than cats in the felinae subfamily, like domestic cats, caracals, servals, bobcats, lynx, cougars, and cheetahs. At the very least, people who want an exotic cat should stick to these closer relatives to the domestic cat. They are easier to tame, have a better affinity for people, and even cheetahs and cougars are not physically larger than adult humans.

Even a small exotic will have specialized needs though. You can probably litter train a serval or a caracal, and a bobcat might even prefer to use the toilet. Feeding them can be expensive. These cats don't eat cat chow. You need to feed them chicken and supplements. You also need to be extra careful in how they are raised. Even a felis catus raised by a feral mother away from people will usually be a handful, so forget about a wild caracal or cougar. The domestic-like behavior you see in the caracals in the videos in my original post comes from being raised like a domestic cat. Their mothers grew up with people and so did they.

I wouldn't want to give any cat bigger than a Eurasian Lynx the run of my home, and the biggest of them top out at about 70 pounds (32kg.) Some people have cougars, but these people have to severely restrict their own lifestyles to keep them. It's easy to fall in love with a cougar though... they can be really sweet cats and love attention...

Max and Genevieve

Seems like it's mostly Russians who have Eurasian Lynxes...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-wildcat.html
Old Thursday, March 16th, 2017   #26
Mrs vonTrep
Like nobody else
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Swedish
Ancestry: Swedish and Danish
Subrace: Nordid-Borreby
State: California
Zodiac Sign: Leo
Family: Married
Politics: NS
Religion: NS
Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.Mrs vonTrep 's wisdom is legendary.

A red panda, hands down.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrs vonTrep For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, March 16th, 2017   #27
Catterick

Ethnicity: Mixed Germanic and Celtic
Ancestry: British Isles & Scandinavia
Subrace: Borreby x Nordic
Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.Catterick is a sage.

This is what they are like in the home.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W4RE30l8zDY
Catterick is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catterick For This Useful Post: