Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Questions About Germanics
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions About Germanics Want to learn something about Germanics? Post your questions here. Guest posting is enabled. Please note that guest posts are moderated.

Germanic vs. Nordic?

Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #1
Nixie

Subrace: North-Atlantid
Family: Married, happily
Religion: Irminist/Odalist
Nixie has earned the respect of peers.

Germanic vs. Nordic?

Maybe I've been hopelessly confused my whole life, but I have always distinguished between Germanic and Nordic. They have always been two separate things in my view. I would consider Nordic to be either a subset of Germanic or possibly even an entirely different cultural/ethnic group. But it seems since I've come to this forum that a lot of people here use these terms interchangeably. Does everyone here consider Nordic and Germanic synonymous? For those who do, why?
Nixie is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #2
Ragnar Thorsson

Ethnicity: Dutch
Subrace: Nordid/Keltic admixture + CM
State: Friesland
Politics: F*ck politics!
Ragnar Thorsson has earned the respect of peers.

Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

I consider Nordic a part of Germanic. Those who live in scandinavia aren't really that different from those who live on the western continental.

Atleast I consider myself as a Nordic Dutch Man so I guess there is no difference. Just the place where we live.
Ragnar Thorsson is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar Thorsson For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #3
Allenson
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: New English
State: Vermont
Politics: Ruralist
Religion: Old Mother West Wind
Allenson has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
Maybe I've been hopelessly confused my whole life, but I have always distinguished between Germanic and Nordic. They have always been two separate things in my view. I would consider Nordic to be either a subset of Germanic or possibly even an entirely different cultural/ethnic group. But it seems since I've come to this forum that a lot of people here use these terms interchangeably. Does everyone here consider Nordic and Germanic synonymous? For those who do, why?

Well, I guess it depends on what category we are discussing....

Culture? Language? Anthropological races and subraces?

In my humble opinon, I would say that culturally speaking, the Nordic or Scandinavian is indeed a subset of the greater Germanic whole and the same holds true for linguistics: Danish, Faroese, Icelandic, Norwegian & Swedish are classified as belonging in the North Germanic branch of the greater Germanic branch of the Indo-European tree.

If we are speaking of racial anthropology than things are a little different. Nordic is a common term used for a specific human phenotype--that seems to have its highest concentration in the Scandinavian counties--but by no means is it confined to. I've never seen a human taxonomy that refers to a Germanic subrace--although there are certainly subtypes that are more common amongst peoples belonging to the Germanic branch of humanity (linguistically & culturally speaking). By my reckoning, Germanic is better off left as a cultural and linguistic designation and not a racial one. Nordic on the other hand can be used, or so it seems, to designate a subracial type, a broad cultural area and perhaps as synonymous with the North Germanic branch of the Indo-European language tree.....

I'm sure there will be those who wish to correct any errors I may have put forth.
Allenson is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Allenson For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #4
Janus

Ethnicity: Extraterrestrial
Ancestry: Germany/Saxons
State: Lower Saxony
Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.Janus is a sage.

AW: Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

To say it short and simple. They are not the same. Germanic is a cultural (and linguistic) term whereas nordic is an anthropological term but the vast majority of the nordic people was Germanic whereas a lot of the Germanics weren't nordic. Nordics are together with dalofaelids, alpinids and other subraces a part of the Germanic whole.
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #5
Theudiskaz

Subrace: Eriliskaz
Family: Hermit
Politics: Pangermanicism
Religion: Aðelakhaiðús.
Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.Theudiskaz 's judgement is sought by kings.

Quote:
Germanic is a cultural (and linguistic) term whereas nordic is an anthropological term but the vast majority of the nordic people was Germanic whereas a lot of the Germanics weren't nordic.
That depends on what time period you are referring to. Before the Germanic tribes settled among and interbred with Alpinids and Mediterranids etc during the Migration Period, or Voelkerwanderung, the Germanic Peoples were essentially Nordid/Cromagnid(Dalo-Faelid and Bruenn for the most part), with Nordid being dominant. The further back you go in time, the more racially Nordid the Germanic peoples are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Theudiskaz For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #6
Jäger
Bloodhound
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Atlantean
Jäger has disabled reputation

AW: Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

Since I believe that the ability to create culture is part of ones race, I can't but believe that Nordic and Germanic are closely related to each other.

However, both words have different meaning, as already explained, and of course not all germanics are nordics, and not all nordics are germanics, and should not be used interchangeably.
"Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)
Jäger is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jäger For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #7
Weltfaschist
.....for a white Europe
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Subrace: Nordid/Faelid
Family: Körbchengröße G
Politics: Worldfascism
Religion: Alyssa Milano
Weltfaschist 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Weltfaschist 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Weltfaschist 's opinion is sought out by learned men.Weltfaschist 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

AW: Germanic vs. Nordic

Germanic vs. Nordic? Are you all crazy? Never mind! If we dont stand together - europe is dead!!!
Look at France, Spain, England, Sweden, Greece, Germany.....,

We are only a few millions of European people against billions of non-whites and they all want our EUROPE.

www.fw.nationales-netz.com

Nachrichten, Demoberichte, CD-Besprechungen, Interviews, Männerkalender, tägliche Kolumne
Weltfaschist is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Weltfaschist For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #8
Allenson
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: New English
State: Vermont
Politics: Ruralist
Religion: Old Mother West Wind
Allenson has disabled reputation

Re: AW: Germanic vs. Nordic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidiator View Post
Germanic vs. Nordic? Are you all crazy? Never mind! If we dont stand together - europe is dead!!!
Look at France, Spain, England, Sweden, Greece, Germany.....,

We are only a few millions of European people against billions of non-whites and they all want our EUROPE.

I don't think she was addressing some "VS." sort of thing--just looking for a little clarification on common terminology.
Allenson is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allenson For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #9
Nixie

Subrace: North-Atlantid
Family: Married, happily
Religion: Irminist/Odalist
Nixie has earned the respect of peers.

Re: AW: Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
To say it short and simple. They are not the same. Germanic is a cultural (and linguistic) term whereas nordic is an anthropological term but the vast majority of the nordic people was Germanic whereas a lot of the Germanics weren't nordic. Nordics are together with dalofaelids, alpinids and other subraces a part of the Germanic whole.
Okay, that's what I thought, too, but it really seems like a lot of people here only consider Nordics to be the "true" Germanics and the rest of us to be somehow substandard. However, as you say, Germanic is a cultural category encompassing several different subraces and it has for quite some time now. So it was just confusing me as to how some people were using the terms. For instance, in this thread, Nordicness seems to be used as a determiner of Germanicness; the underlying assumption seems to be that Norwegians are the standard of Germanicness by which all others should be measured. However, I would say rather that Norwegians are a standard not of Germanicness but of Nordicness, which we have already established is NOT the same thing. The thread, however, seems to be equating Nordic with Germanic, something that has not been true for nearly two millennia now, at least.
It seems that the attitude of trying to make "who's Germanic" as exclusive as possible is needlessly divisive and elitist when, as another member said, we should be focussing on unity and solidarity - we are all Northern European, and that's pretty much the ancient definition of "Germanic". Why mess with it?
Nixie is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006   #10
Witukind

Re: AW: Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
However, I would say rather that Norwegians are a standard not of Germanicness but of Nordicness
But the Norwegians are Germanic! Their language and culture is Germanic.
Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: