Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > Skadi Forum: Germanic Online Community > Rules, Announcements & Support
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rules, Announcements & Support Forum rules, news & announcements. If you need any help, have an error report, or want to make positive suggestions on improving Skadi Forum, please be so kind as to let us know.

Reviving Old Threads

Old Wednesday, May 4th, 2016   #1
Out of Germania
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.Out of Germania is a deity.

Question Reviving Old Threads

Or thread necromancy, although I don't like this term.

It seems the practice bothers some members (and even staff). Is there a policy about this?

I think it should only be frowned upon if it's outdated and irrelevant threads.

Collection threads should be kept going (like the Fake Hate Crime thread, or Listening to at the moment)

Some topics like do you smoke? do you drink? what is your opinion about (...)? are universal and there's no need to open a new thread. So what if the thread is x years old? If it's an interesting topic and there's something new to add, it's alright.

Newbies who haven't spoken their minds about those topics and find an interesting old thread can join in with their comments.

Replying to a posts from decades ago, and to correct members who haven't been online for decades however, looks retarded.

And a suggestion to the staff: if you don't want old threads being reopened, maybe you could set an option for threads to automatically close after a number of x days (and no replies).
Out of Germania is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Out of Germania For This Useful Post:
Old Wednesday, May 4th, 2016   #2
SpearBrave
Proffessional Hickerbilly
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: American of German decent
Ancestry: Germany/ Switzerland
Zodiac Sign: Libra
Personality: ENFP (The Champion)
Family: dead
Politics: Self-Reliance
Religion: Asatru
SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

I can only second what was said above.

On that note, I enjoy just reading some old threads. I was reading an old thread a few days ago posted by Out of Germania and even though there were no replies it was a very good read about Germanic preservation of a topic I hold very dear. This is the reason why Skadi is so great, there is more information posted in these threads about Germanics than anywhere else on Earth either physical or on the web.
Old Wednesday, May 4th, 2016   #3
SaxonCeorl

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
SaxonCeorl is noble of speech.SaxonCeorl is noble of speech.

I've never understood why some are opposed to reviving old threads; this is an internet-wide phenomenon. In Skadi's case, it's almost unavoidable due to the long dormancy period.
SaxonCeorl is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaxonCeorl For This Useful Post:
Old Thursday, May 5th, 2016   #4
Sigurd
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
Subrace: Borreby + Atlantonordoid
Zodiac Sign: Libra
Family: Engaged
Politics: Natural Order.
Religion: Odinist
Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.

Skadi Award: Being the most prestigious award on Skadi Forum, the Skadi Award is bestowed upon those who, being outstanding contributors of particular importance, have been long standing supporters of Skadi Forum and its community, in good and in bad times. - Issue reason: Excellent, original and thought-provoking contributions over a period of several years; outstanding performance as a moderator and active participation in the Staff Forum; repeated defense of Skadi and its staff on Skadi Forum and on other sites. 
Thread necromancy to some extent is perfectly alright, within given margins of course. For instance, I really enjoyed the thread about the Turkish problem being revived for instance, because it allowed one to see what one said some six years ago about the topic, and/or whether the situation had remained the same, or worsened, or whether one's views of the situation have changed.

On the other hand, the thread I closed was one I considered somewhat obsolete: The content of the thread was essentially long outdated, and its topic was touched upon in two already existing threads that were all of older in age, more active and more recently so, and in fact Sticky threads in the same sub-forum. That's why the age & discontinuity of the thread was mentioned last - in itself it wouldn't have warranted closure, but in combination with the aforementioned reasons, it played its part.

Reviving old threads, especially upon generic topics, is of course alright and I don't think there should be a blanket cut-off date for revelance, it's even possible that a current event ends up duplicated several years later and/or is still a burning issue. It should be up to the discretion of Staff to close, move or leave open such thread, with the assistance of members who may of course report such threads.

I do personally frown upon 'systematic thread necromancy', if like a member makes a point of reviving twenty-odd decade-old threads in the same time-span they post in three new threads, but that's just personal taste & opinion, and no actual official directive; I have no right to take it away from them, that would be an abuse of Staff power.

I will however reserve the right to close and/or move threads that I believe have really run their course, but will state that I will use this right sparingly enough.

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)
Sigurd is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sigurd For This Useful Post:
Old Sunday, June 19th, 2016   #5
Aeternitas
Books won't stay banned, ideas won't go to jail
Þeudanaz
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Germanic
Subrace: Europid
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Reason, Freedom, Justice
Religion: Truth, Greatness, Beauty
Aeternitas has disabled reputation

Skadi Award: Being the most prestigious award on Skadi Forum, the Skadi Award is bestowed upon those who, being outstanding contributors of particular importance, have been long standing supporters of Skadi Forum and its community, in good and in bad times. - Issue reason: Excellent contributions in all sections; outstanding performance as a forum manager; indefatigable support of members, staff, and the administration. 
"Thread necromancy" is not against the rules, actually in some cases we encourage it - staff will usually merge threads about topics that have already been discussed. Skadi being older than a decade, it's always a good idea to use the search option before creating a thread, in many cases it will already have been discussed, and one may find interesting takes on it. Also, considering Skadi had a few hiatuses, thread necromancy is to be expected. I actually enjoy reading through some of the older threads, it brings back many memories.

That said there are topics that bear no more relevance today, or topics resulting from forum merges - Skadi has "swallowed" quite a few, whose revival is plain weird. It's at your discretion, which threads to revive and which to leave dormant, however the staff reserves the right to edit, move, merge or close such topics. I suggest using reason and self-moderation here, e.g. should you interact with other members or reply to their personal threads, always check their "last seen" date and such. Apart from that, happy necromancing.
Aeternitas is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post: