Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Genealogy & Ancestry DNA
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Genealogy & Ancestry DNA Personal Genomics Results, study of ancestry, tracing of family lineages and history.

Is Goldstein Always a Jewish Surname?

Old Monday, July 19th, 2010   #1
Ægir

Ethnicity: Scottish
Ancestry: Scotland, Norway, England, Germany
Subrace: Nordid
Family: Married parent
Politics: Agrarian
Religion: Heathen
Ægir shows some promise.

Is Goldstein Always a Jewish Surname?

Well I have a female friend of mine who is in a bit of a genealogy pickle and I thought I would throw her dilemma out here to see your thoughts. This girl is very interested in genealogy and very prod of her German heritage…being of German origin on all of her grandparents lines…at least that is what she thought. This is where it gets interesting…she recently discovered that her mother was adopted as her mother recently discovered her real birth certificate. Her mother was shocked to find out her fathers surname was not Hess (which is the line of her adoptive father) but is Goldstein. Now in America that surname is always thought to be Jewish. The plot thickens though as her birth mothers maiden name was Fleischer and the reason for adoption seems to be just because they had too many children in rural Appalachia. The area they are from is filled with Germans but not many Jews.
My question is can the Goldstein surname be non-Jewish or is it always a Jewish name. I will value this lasses friendship no matter what the case is but I would love to console her fears if possible. Anyone with knowledge of German Surnames input is greatly appreciated…thanks...
Old Monday, July 19th, 2010   #2
Loyalist

Ethnicity: Anglo-Canadian
Ancestry: British Isles
Subrace: Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
Family: Engaged
Politics: Traditionalist
Religion: Christian
Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.Loyalist is a sage.

I have never come across a Goldstein who was not a Jew. In America, a Goldstein/Fleischer union is undoubtedly Jewish. I suppose this is one of the occupational hazards of genealogical research, at least from our perspective.
Loyalist is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loyalist For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, July 19th, 2010   #3
thoughtcrime

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Germany, Denmark
State: Schleswig-Holstein
Politics: Reason
Religion: Science
thoughtcrime is noble of speech.thoughtcrime is noble of speech.

Yes, from all I know "Goldstein" is ultimately a jewish name, at least here in Germany.
Old Monday, July 19th, 2010   #4
PA. Dutchman

Ancestry: German
State: Pennsylvania
Family: Married
Politics: Conservative
Religion: Protestant
PA. Dutchman 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Over the years in this part of Pennsylvania this comes

Over the years in this part of Pennsylvania this comes up pretty often.

We have Meyers who are Jewish and Lutherans, the same with Hoffman's, Kauffman's, and many other names. We have Heilman's can trace their line back to Martin Luther who are Lutheran and have been for centuries. Yet there are a number of Jewish Heilman's.

Willie Heilman was an Ace in the German Air Force during World War II Michael Heilman was a Ace in the American Air Force.

My father served in the Pacific Theater, the US used a lot of German Americans in the Pacific War, they were GREAT soldiers and kept them out of Europe.

There is a DVD Documentary you can rent at Netfix called something like "Hitlers Jewish Soldiers". A number served during the war in positions of importance in the German Army. Their fathers had served in the German Army in WW I. It was needed, but it was felt after the war they would have been gone.
PA. Dutchman is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PA. Dutchman For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, July 19th, 2010   #5
Ægir

Ethnicity: Scottish
Ancestry: Scotland, Norway, England, Germany
Politics: Agrarian
Religion: Heathen
Ægir shows some promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA. Dutchman View Post
Over the years in this part of Pennsylvania this comes up pretty often.

We have Meyers who are Jewish and Lutherans, the same with Hoffman's, Kauffman's, and many other names. We have Hellman's can trace their line back to Martin Luther who are Lutheran and have been for centuries, yet there are a number of Jewish Hellman's.
This is exactly why I asked the question…and with the virtual absence of Jews in the part of Appalachia where this union took place and the predominance of Germans in this particular area made me wonder the same about Goldsteins…
Old Sunday, August 29th, 2010   #6
Thorwolf

Ethnicity: anglo/nordic
Ancestry: England, Normandy, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Sweden
Subrace: anglo/nordic
State: Texas
Politics: Tribalist
Religion: Odinist
Thorwolf has earned the respect of peers.

They are askenazim! ther are many "Germans" who are decended from christianised Jews!
Thorwolf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Sunday, August 29th, 2010   #7
Sigurd
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ancestry: Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
Subrace: Borreby + Atlantonordoid
Zodiac Sign: Libra
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Natural Order.
Religion: Odinist
Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.Sigurd is a deity.

Skadi Award: Being the most prestigious award on Skadi Forum, the Skadi Award is bestowed upon those who, being outstanding contributors of particular importance, have been long standing supporters of Skadi Forum and its community, in good and in bad times. - Issue reason: Excellent, original and thought-provoking contributions over a period of several years; outstanding performance as a moderator and active participation in the Staff Forum; repeated defense of Skadi and its staff on Skadi Forum and on other sites. 
There is one distant possibility that it may not be a Jewish name, though that becomes even less likely considering that this is America and the question would arise why an English name would be Germanised, even in an area that has very few of non-German lineage.

That would be if there was an original English name Goldstone, deoikonymically from villages called that esp. in Kent & Staffordshire; etymologically from the female given name Golda and -tun/-ton "farm, hamlet". The likelihood of that being the cause is near zilch, so you're basically looking at some Jewish ancestry (however that may be further back, with simply the name passed down in paternal lineage).

There are many names which sound "notoriously Jewish" but aren't always (Rosenberg being one of them - see Alfred Rosenberg; also possible in Scandinavian names, cf. Rosdahl and Lindberg, so Rosenberg can be possible - curious about the footballer actually) Either way, Goldstein doesn't seem to be such case, at least I haven't come across any person of prominence (and there are many) with that surname that wasn't Jewish.

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)
Sigurd is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sigurd For This Useful Post:
Old Sunday, August 29th, 2010   #8
Northern Paladin
Account Inactive

Subrace: Atlantid
Family: Single
Religion: Protestant
Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.Northern Paladin is a sage.

Yes, it is predominantly an Ashkenazic name, but it could also be German.

Quote:
Jewish (Ashkenazic): ornamental name composed of German Gold ‘gold’ + Stein ‘stone’.
German: from a medieval personal name, nickname, or occupational name from Middle High German, Middle Low German golste(i)n ‘gold stone’, ‘precious stone’, (probably chrysolite or topaz, which was used as a testing stone by alchemists).
http://www.ancestry.com/facts/goldst...y-history.ashx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
you're basically looking at some Jewish ancestry (however that may be further back, with simply the name passed down in paternal lineage).
Indeed, this is most likely the case. I have a friend whose name is Schlanger, a surname that according to Ancestry.com is exclusively Ashkenazic Jewish, and he's Christian claiming predominantly German descent as well as English descent.
Northern Paladin is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Sunday, August 29th, 2010   #9
nordfrisk

Ethnicity: scando-friso
Ancestry: frisia and scandinavia
State: Friesland
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: conservative
Religion: chritisian
nordfrisk shows some promise.

well many many years ago jewish people in germany were forced to take on german names so that they could slowly integrate into society. many jews were given very strange names that associated them with minerals, wealth, money because the stereotype still exsisted even then. that is why so many jews have names like "Goldfarb", "Goldstein", "Goldberg." also wierd names that are combination of wierd objects like, "spielberg" = "play mountain" or "engelmann" = "angel man".

i would say it is almost strictly jewish on these terms.
nordfrisk is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote